Friday, December 20, 2013

Firsts

Most firsts are happy occasions for babies. We're excited for Sophie's first Christmas, to be followed only a few weeks later by her first birthday. We've been taking pictures and video of her first steps and it's amazing to watch her grow. But now she has the honor of a first her brother hasn't hit yet. A few weeks ago, I flew to San Antonio for my Grandfather's funeral. Daddy couldn't get time off for traveling and the last minute tickets were expensive, so he stayed in California with Austin, and I flew to Texas with Sophie, who was still young enough to fly free. I was so lucky to be able to do that. She met great uncles and aunts and even a great great uncle and a great great aunt, and my some of my mother's cousins. It was a wonderful trip, even though it was such a sad occasion. He was 95 years old and was married to my Grandmother for 71 years. He was buried in the Fort Sam Houston National Cemetary in San Antonio. Sophie cried during the gun salute, but was quiet and sweet through the service. And she held my Grandmother's hand. I was worried about bringing her to such a somber occasion, but she was really very good. And I hope someone brings a baby to my funeral, when the time comes, because everyone seemed glad to see her. I don't really know what the etiquette is for sharing pictures from funerals, but this blog is ultimately for Austin and Sophie, so someday we can all look back together at all the things we did. So, in chronological order, here are the pictures from the trip...




















We love and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment